Every year, 26,000 babies are stillborn in America. In 2003, one of them was my son.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving Thanks, Giving Back

In the spirit of my last post, and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I thought I'd direct you to another website you may already have heard of. It's been around for a number of years now, and I've been clicking on it almost daily. It's actually a group of sites: The Hunger Site, The Breast Cancer Site, The Child Health Site, The Literacy Site, The Rainforest Site and The Animal Rescue Site. By going there every day and clicking, site sponsors donate money to save the rainforest, feed hungry people and rescue animals, provide vaccinations and medicine for needy children, provide mammograms for low-income women, and give books to underprivileged children.

All you have to do is click. How radical is that?

All the site also have awesome shops, with many fair trade and hand crafted items, including some absolutely gorgeous jewelry (dangerous for me to look at!), Burt's Bees products, clothing, and much, much more. I love to do holiday shopping on these sites; every purchase funds more help for those in need. If I'm going to spend my money anyway, I'd like to know I'm not simply buying into my nation's rampant consumerism, I'm also doing some good.

One thing in this life I truly believe is that small actions can make big changes. Join me in taking some of those small actions; it only takes a minute to make a difference.

3 comments:

Monica H said...

I'm clicking away!

Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

Are we pod sisters? I have a calendar reminder every morning to click on each of the tabs, starting with theanimalrescuesite.com. (The cats who sleep on my ankles every night demanded it.)

Diana said...

Thank you Virginia

I will click!!

I have adopted 4 dogs from our local shelter and just love animals.

If you have a minute, please let me know if I can link you to my blog regarding infant loss.

Thank you
Peace LOve and Hugs from Above
Diana