Every year, 26,000 babies are stillborn in America. In 2003, one of them was my son.

Friday, February 4, 2011

No Focus Friday

It might be the below freezing temperatures, snow and ice we've been experiencing that have frozen my brain, or it might be a late case of the January blahs. But I'm feeling unfocused, unmotivated and probably any other "un" word you can think of. (Though if you are my 5-year-old, no, "underwear," which would be your most favorite word ever, does not count.)

Uninspired? Underwhelmed?

Yep, that's me.

It's one of those days when, despite my best intentions, not much is happening. Sure, I have some beef stew in the crock pot, have washed several loads of laundry, even worked out. But: the papers on the coffee table and kitchen table? Still there, despite telling myself I would sort them out all week. The dishes piled in the sink? Um, yeah, I'll get to them.

I'd much rather curl up on the sofa with a blanket and hibernate.

Funnily enough, I had to wash the pillows on my bed today. I do this about once a year, and it never goes well--the washer never spins them long enough, and I can never figure out how to program the washer to give them extra spin time, and I end up with a sodden mess that takes days to dry out. (Though I do think I may have figured out the extra spin time problem today.) But could I let that random project go today? Oh no. Had to get it done. Go figure.

And now, to save you from the boring life I lead, I offer a random selection of my favorite quotes. There is no common thread running between them; some inspire, some make me laugh. I'm sure you can figure out which is which.

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein (I believe I am the perfect embodiment of this quote after the week I've had.)

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt (Ah, but this week I am tired of doing the thing I think I cannot do.)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

"Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it and whispers, 'Grow, grow.'" - The Talmud

Any quotes or other bit of inspiration you might like to share?

2 comments:

Keri said...

Goodness, if I could possibly feel your plight more, we'd have to be setting a world record. The blahs must be running rampant.

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
-- Dale Carnegie

Harriet said...

“A hundred years from now it will not matter how much money I had, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.”

-Forest Whitcraft

One of my favorite quotes. :)